Site of Adventures/Miles

Site of Adventures/Miles

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dodgy

It's a good thing that my ACL and MCL are in good shape because I definitely used my lateral cutting ability whilst running quickly around Glendoveer Golf Course (http://www.metro-region.org/index.cfm/go/by.web/id/158). It's a pretty popular spot in deep NE Portland with a two mile wood chip running path. I love it because it's a great soft surface with some texture (Wolf-speak for hills) and some nice flats where you can really crank. But above all, it's S-O-F-T, which makes it perfect for cross country training. It also happens to be located about a mile from school, making running an even number of miles pretty easy.

Speaking of cross country, today was my first workout geared toward club nats and the first sustained "hard" running I've done since Chicago (10/10/10). The master plan called for a 4 mile tempo run and, technically, another easy week. But I was feeling itchy and armed with the knowledge that I could get away with not "counting" the workout decided to run hard anyway. I decided I'd do one loop, then maintain that pace for the next loop or try to pick it up, depending on how I felt. The first loop was 11:37, which I maintained for the second loop in 11:39. A two second difference over the course of two miles is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Also, considering the surface, I'd say this run is worth 30 - 60s faster had I run on the roads or the track (On a side note, last year I ran a 4 mile tempo on the track for my first workout back and ran 34s faster, I know my body!). I warmed up and cooled down going to and from the course, plus a little on the course as well. All told the mileage for the day was 8 miles at 6:16 pace. 4 miles of tempo effort in 23:16 and 4 miles of warming up and cooling down (which is pretty standard for me) in about 27 min.

Day/Week: 8/15

I can't complain so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment