Site of Adventures/Miles

Site of Adventures/Miles

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dawn Patrol

At the end of the school day yesterday one of my clubmates asked me if I was interested in running 6 or 7 easy miles at 5AM with him. Sure, I replied. I mean, why wouldn't I want to wake up 4:30AM to run around Portland in the dark. Well, when you need your fix, you need your fix. Plus, Thursdays are my full day at school, going from 7:30AM to 5:40PM with just an hour for lunch. Generally, I stick around for some time in the open anatomy lab as well. I think it's vital that a chiropractor have a good handle on anatomy and I'm betting most of my future patients will also think that.

The run itself was pretty glorious all things considered. We settled into a nice 7:30 min/mile pace and cruised around the Willamette waterfront. The most exciting part of the run was when we had to race the Steel Bridge before it started to go up. The route took us from NW Portland, down the westside of the waterfront, across the 100 year old Hawthorne Bridge, up the eastbank esplanade, across the Steel Bridge, and back to NW Portland. It's a pretty solid loop all thing considered. Considering the early hour and not too much on the horizon I'll take it. All things considered, it was a pretty refreshing run. The weather was nice, the company was nearly as nice, and the running was nearly effortless. This run was actually the slowest I've run in quite some time. Probably because I was tired. For some reason I couldn't sleep last night. I was like a kid before Christmas in that I was tossing and turning and really exicted about something. You'd think with upcoming tests I'd have plenty to keep my mind occupied, but NOOOOOOOO. Silly subconscious, always acting up.

Later in the day I sat (technically stood) through 6 hours of lecture, including Biochemistry, Gross Anatomy, Biomechanics, and Cell Biology, then managed to put in 4 hours in the Gross Anatomy lab - wrists deep in my cadaver's forearm. I scored a minor victory by tracing the Radial N from the wrist all the way back up the armpit where it deviates from the Posterior cord of the Brachial Plexus. I also ripped off an amazing amount of fascia. Take a minute to look at your forearm, there is a metric buttload of connective tissue in there and fat in places that most people wouldn't believer there's fat. It's amazing and wonderous all at the same time.

Day/Week: 6.5/28.5

No comments:

Post a Comment