Site of Adventures/Miles

Site of Adventures/Miles

Friday, July 22, 2011

Ragnar Legs 1&2

I ran my first leg around 12:30PM, which usually isn't optimal time to be running, unless you live in the Pacific Northwest. It was overcast and 60ish with a slight breeze, which is just about perfect. I took off with the goal of averaging under 6:00 pace and figuring that my first leg would be the toughest due to the big uphill in it. Here's the map of it: http://ragnarrelay.com/race/northwestpassage/legs/7
Well, I was right as my last mile was in the 7 min range due to the large hill and getting a little confused, though I still covered the 6.5 miles in 40:29, which is a 6:13 average pace. Considering I stuffed my face with toast, eggs, and OJ about 90 mins before running, I'll take it!

I started my 2nd around 9:00PM which was also a very nice time to be out running. This leg took me through the Swinomish Indian Reservation and over a couple of rolling hills, which weren't as bad as they looked on paper. This leg was rated as "Very Hard" though I found it easier than my first leg. I guess I have a warped perspective. Here's the map of it: http://ragnarrelay.com/race/northwestpassage/legs/19

This leg offered some very nice views of the sun setting behind Skagit Bay, whenever a driveway was cut through the trees. I've always gotten a huge kick out of starting a run in daylight and finishing a run in darkness, or vice versa. For this one, I ate a little less and drank a Red Bull to amp me up and ran 42:15 for the 7.2 miles, which is a 5:52 average pace. I felt a little better and pushed a little harder and was again very happy with how I felt.

Miles: 13.7 for the day/46 for the week (OK, it's really 45.95, but there was some jogging involved)
Pullups: 0 for the day/29 for the week (I'm really slacking)

No comments:

Post a Comment