Site of Adventures/Miles

Site of Adventures/Miles

Friday, July 8, 2011

Beer Mile!

July 8th marked the Annual Cascadia Beer Mile Championships at an unnamed location. What is significant about this event is that it was my debut Beer Mile. Given the fact that I successfully completed the Bicentennial (100 beers/100 miles) in 6 days, some running friends were curious as to my beer mile potential. Well, I have a dirty little secret.....I can't chug to save my life. Though lack of a gag reflex and cast iron stomach did come through to help me in a big way.

My beer of choice was 1 PBR and 3 Copper Bell Lagers (Whole Foods brand, cheap). The catch here is that I don't know if they comply with official Kingston Rules (http://www.beermile.com/faq.beer#rules) as I don't know what the %ABV of my beers was, officially speaking. I think the PBR does, though I can't find official note of that. Anyway, I was doing this for the experience. Next time I will have beers that do comply.

My time was 7:48, with a 66s last lap, which is a pretty solid debut. Like I said, I can run with damn near anything sloshing around in my stomach but I can't chug. Obviously, I lost the most time chugging, but would pass people running who had passed me chugging. With a little more practice, I feel like I could challenge the 7:00 barrier.

Quite an experience. I encourage everyone to either witness or participate in one at some point because they are pretty unique experiences!

1 comment:

  1. Not a bad time Wolf. When I was at Montana, we held a beer mile where I finished "First American" behind my multi-time All-American teammate Antony Ford from England. I finished in 6:46 and he did a 6:42. Fortunately, I can chug a beer in about 6-7 seconds.

    ReplyDelete