Site of Adventures/Miles

Site of Adventures/Miles

Sunday, November 14, 2010

SLR - But Not A Benz

The Sunday Long Run tradition continues........ One of my personal favorite sayings is, "God created the world in 6 days and on the 7th He did an easy 10." Sunday is generally a day for renewal and that's what the long run is for. It's a chance to run easy after a tough week or maybe it's a chance to catch up on a couple of miles missed during the week or maybe it's a chance to hammer and exorcise some demons. Regardless of the reason - Sunday is a chance to begin anew. Sunday ends my running week and it's always nice to end with a long run. They're usually relaxed and usually a lot of fun and usually involve breakfast with friends. Great food, great running, great company, decent coffee (we don't have Community up here, it gets mailed to me) - the SLR is the church I choose to worship in.

My weeks end, rather than begin, on Sunday because I like to have something to look forward to on Monday (other than two hours of Gross Anatomy lecture). It's also nice to know I can pick up a few miles if I have to because I generally have the most time on Sunday for running. This installment of the SLR featured Hoss, Ladd, and me going out and back on Leif Erikson Dr. It's a dirt/rock road through Forest Park and very popular spot on Sundays. The great thing is that is out and back, so if you run out you have to run back - it helps temper your resolve. We covered the 12 miles in a shade over 7 min pace and feasted on Kettleman Bagels (http://www.kettlemanbagels.com/) post run. Kettleman has a deal where you can add a 12-oz cup of coffee to a bagel for just $1.00. They also give free refills. So in typical grad student style I got a refill. It's hard to complain when you land 24-oz of Stumptown coffee (which is decent, but not Community good) for just $1.00.

After the joyousness that is Kettleman, I spent a couple hours holed up at school studying Gross Anatomy. My studying was punctuated by a trip to another Portland institution, BurgerVille (http://burgerville.com/), who was offering 10 cheeseburgers for $10 - a deal too good to miss. I loaded up and had plenty to eat for the rest of the day.

Day/Week: 12/54

No comments:

Post a Comment